Thursday, October 1, 2015

Analyzing my own assumptions

In the following blog post I analyze my values and beliefs against those which are displayed in the text.

Screenshot taken by Dylan Cotter 10/1/2015 "Quentin Tarantino" Public Domain Usage 


1. What cultural and social values do we share with that referenced in the text?

Tarantino says that he feels like he has been "gipped" when he goes to a movie and realizes it has been shot and projected on digital. While I can tell when a film has been shot on digital and when it has been shot on film, I don't feel cheated or short handed by it, I understand the benefits of both and I prefer film as well but I do not feel cheated by it. But as far as not wanting the industry to change goes, I agree with the traditional method of making movies and distributing them, but now more filmmakers get a chance to make films, which can be a good and a bad thing.

2. What do we not share?

I do not agree that the digital age is "the death of film" as Tarantino calls it. Digital is catching up to film so fast in it's capabilities that it is almost nonexistent (the difference) and digital is now getting cheaper. So while mot filmmakers (myself included) prefer film now, in 5 years I wont quit filmmaking because people are shooting on digital.

3. IF the text was written in a different culture, what values can we see in our culture?

This text was not put out in a different culture, in fact it was put out in a culture that mirrors ours directly, it is our culture, so I can not answer this question.

4. IF the text was written in our culture but a different time period, how have the values changed over time?

The text was written in our culture but also in our time, this issue has only been relevant for the last 3 years or less. Digital has only caught up to film on that time, and now digital is so similar and the benefits are very clear for both, so the values and beliefs are being challenged more, but film still reigns supreme.

Reflection:

I read Morgan and Kelly's blogs for my comments and reflection. Both of their issues are a lot more widespread than mine, which means that their opinions and the opinions of other affect people a lot more than whether a film was shot on digital or film. But they care about their debates and conversations about their topics as much as I care about this and everyone can feel that in their writing.


3 comments:

  1. I find that our forms of bias are very different in reference to our articles. When analyzing my own article, I found that I didn't really have a lot of bias against my topic. That has a lot to do with the subject of my article, which I generally speaking, couldn't really relate to, so was able to remain unbiased. My only bias was related to my interest in neonatal nursing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had some trouble answering the last two questions, because while my topic has been argued for decades,the incident that sparked the article was recent.

    I like that you stated Tarantino's views and then directly addressed your opinions about them. Personally, I would have no idea if a movie was shot digitally, so I think it's cool that film fanatics can tell just by looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dylan, I thought your topic was very interesting, it was one that I had never thought about before. I understand the difficulty of answering the last two questions because most relevant controversies are written in the time period and culture that we live in. I also thought it was interesting that you chose an article that you were in disagreement with, because I did the same thing. Well, I chose an article about something I was skeptical about to see if the author's rhetoric could influence my opinion.

    ReplyDelete